An exquisite and elegant dish from Kevin Thornton
© Kevin Thornton
St Tola Goats Cheese Stack from Chef Kevin Thornton
1. Cook beetroot. Cook beetroot in water with pineapple shell, grapefruit orange and lemon. Cover with water and cook gently for about 3 hrs. Allow to cool in liquid and when cool peel under running water as the skin comes off easier. Slice thinly.
2. St Tola Stack: Place one slice of St Tola in the centre of a heatproof serving plate, then place 2 or 3 slices of beetroot on top. Place half of the baby spinch leaves on top then the second slice of goats cheese. Transfer to a hot grill to melt the top slice of St Tola.
3. Repeat the layering process with a second a layer of beetroot and spinach. Finish with the final slice of St Tola, grill til brown then set aside.
4. Pesto: blend the pine nuts, basil, salt, pepper, olive oil, and grated cheese in a food processor until well combined. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Salad Dressing: whisk the olive oil, lemon thyme, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, and honey together in a bowl until well combined. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. To serve: dot the pesto and balsalmic vinegar around the edge of the plate. Drizzle the St Tola stack with the dressing, then sprinkle over the toasted walnuts.